Many elementary teachers start the day off with a class morning meeting to set expectations for the day. Middle and high schools have gotten in on the trend, replacing homeroom with advisory or morning meetings too. There are lots of ways to make this time meaningful, and one is by asking morning meeting questions. Let students reflect on them and answer privately in a journal or publicly on a chart of whiteboard. Need some ideas? These questions are great for all ages!
Morning Meeting Questions To Help Kids Plan
Set kids up for success now and in the future with these questions.
- What’s one important thing you need to accomplish today?
- What’s something fun you’re looking forward to doing today?
- Pick something difficult you’d like to tackle in the week/month/year ahead. What is it?
- If someone gave you $100, how much would you save? How much would you spend right away, and what would you spend it on?
- When you look back on today before you go to bed tonight, what do you hope you’ll see?
- What’s the next book you want to read?
- What school subject is challenging you the most right now, and how can you overcome the challenges?
- How do you plan to spend time with your family this weekend?
- What achievable goal can you set for yourself today?
- Set a goal: How many people will you sincerely compliment today?
- Do you plan to go to college? If so, do you have a school in mind?
- What kind of job do you think would make you the happiest?
- What non-school subject would you like to learn more about?
- Is there anything you need to do to feel more organized? What is it?
- What hobby do you really want to try?
- Do you feel like you get enough exercise?
- What healthy foods will you eat today?
- What will you do when you get home from school today?
- What’s one bad habit you wish you could kick once and for all?
- How will you practice mindfulness today?
Morning Meeting Questions To Encourage Sharing
Ask kids to share their thoughts and feelings to spark a sense of camaraderie and help them get to know one another.
- What’s the best place you’ve ever visited?
- What’s your favorite thing about yourself?
- If you could change one thing about yourself overnight, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite smell?
- What do you like to daydream about?
- Do you have a favorite time of year?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- What’s your favorite book? Movie? TV show? Song?
- If you could paint your bedroom a new color, what would it be?
- What is most worrying to you about the world right now?
- What’s the hardest thing about being a kid?
- Is your bedroom messy or clean?
- What’s your pet peeve?
- What’s the best thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What’s one food you never want to eat again?
- What’s one school rule you wish you could change?
- What makes you happiest?
- When you woke up this morning, how did you feel?
- If you could be friends with a celebrity, who would you pick and why?
- What’s the best dessert?
- What emoji best describes how you feel today?
- If you could trade places with any celebrity, who would it be?
- What book would you like to see turned into a movie?
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever been given?
- Do you like group work or individual work best? Why?
- What’s your favorite memory?
- What’s your earliest memory?
- Would you rather give a gift or get a gift?
- What’s your favorite game?
- What’s something you would never give up?
Inspirational Morning Meeting Questions
Try these questions to help kids make themselves (and the world!) better every day.
- Of everything you want to achieve, what do you think will be the hardest?
- How can you make someone’s day a little better today?
- If you could live someplace else for a year, where would it be?
- What’s your dream vacation?
- How do you help others?
- How do you make yourself do something you really don’t want to do?
- What would you like to be famous for?
- What inspirational quote do you think everyone should hear?
- Who do you most admire?
- What songs or music do you listen to when you’re happy? Sad?
- What’s one thing that always makes you feel better?
- Can money buy happiness?
- What makes a good leader?
- If you could teach your classmates how to do something, what would it be?
- What’s your proudest moment so far?
- What makes you unique?
- What do you like most about your best friend?
- Who is the kindest person you know?
- What makes you a good friend?
- If you could go back in time to see yourself three years ago, what advice would you give yourself?
- What’s one thing you’ve only done once but would like to do again?
- What makes you feel loved?
- Would you rather be the best player on a losing team or the worst player on a winning team?
- Why is it important to try your best?
- What’s the nicest thing someone has done for you recently?
Fun Morning Meeting Questions
Ask these questions to help students start off the day with a smile or giggle!
- What animal do you think would make the best president?
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpowers and name be?
- Would you rather wear shoes that are two sizes too small or four sizes too big?
- Do you put the cereal in the bowl first or the milk?
- When you’re getting dressed, which do you do: sock-shoe, sock-shoe, or sock-sock shoe-shoe?
- Which day is really the first day of the week, Sunday or Monday?
- What’s the worst possible (edible) thing to put on a pizza?
- If you could rename our school, what would you call it?
- How would you survive in a zombie apocalypse?
- If you had a theme song, what would it be?
- Would you rather be able to talk to animals or read people’s minds?
- Would you move to Mars if we built a colony there?
- If you suddenly found out dogs could talk, what question would you ask them?
- What are the best burger toppings?
- Would you ever go skydiving?
- If you could be any cartoon character, who would it be?
- What’s the best condiment to pair with french fries?
- What are the ingredients in the perfect ice cream sundae?
- If you could create a new emoji, what would it be?
- What would you name your band, and what kind of music would you play?
- If you had a time machine, would you travel to the past or the future?
- Who’s the best superhero and why?
- If you could skip school today and do something else, what would it be?
- At what age do you think people are really “old”?
- If you could pick a new name, what would it be?
What are your favorite morning meeting questions? Come share on the WeAreTeachers HELPLINE group on Facebook!
Plus, check out 24 Morning Message Ideas To Get Your Day Started Off on the Right Foot.